Local businesses have an important opportunity to help grow our community and retain valuable human capital.
We all play a role. Parents and family members, teachers and guidance counselors, friends and neighbors. The support and memories local students experience influence their choice to remain in or return to the community after their secondary or post-secondary education.
One meaningful way your business can take part is by hosting a School-to-Work (STW) student. At the beginning of each school year, the Ord Area Chamber of Commerce and Valley County Economic Development help match STW students’ interests with local businesses willing to create a meaningful work experience as they explore potential career fields and real work environments.
In the past, the School-to-Work program has produced significant outcomes for the student, business and community:
– Students’ experiences during STW in a specific industry reinforced their interest in a particular career
– Students discovered a career field they thought they were interested in was truly not the right fit for their interests and talents, an equally important STW discovery
– STW students’ grades improved because STW hosts went above and beyond to hold them accountable for all of their academic classes, not just STW
– Employers have connected with local students who became part-time/seasonal workforce and who may have the potential, at some point, to return as a full-time employee
– Previous STW students have returned to the community after post-secondary education to join the workforce or launch a new business
As we approach the 2017-2018 academic year, it is time to begin the placement process for approximately 16 Ord High School School-to-Work students for the fall semester. If your business is interested in hosting a School-to-Work student, please complete the Host Site Registration Form by Tuesday, August 15, 2017. Your business will be contacted within the first two weeks of school after students have an opportunity to determine their career interests and School-to-Work site.
Valley County Economic Development, the Ord Area Chamber of Commerce and Ord High School are dedicated to developing a strong partnership with the local business community to create an effective working relationship between youth and local employers. We look forward to working with you to establish successful School-to-Work connections.
If you have any questions please call Lana Kruml at Ord High School at (308) 728-3241 or Kristina Foth at the VCED and Ord Area Chamber office at (308) 728-7875.